Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The Secret behind "Sadness Speaks"

"Sadness Speaks" is definitely the one work that has made me feel proud of my writing after quite a while. Since I graduated from college, I never really had the venue to write. Well, there's the message board where I would air out my thoughts but they're generally real-life expressions and more on opinions rather that creative writing (although I've also done that there several times).

Well anyway, "Sadness Speaks" is officially my most emotional work to date. My works normally have a sarcastic tone, or maybe even bitter but that one was especially draining. I had a couple of friends telling me how heavy-hearted they felt after reading it, while my baby sister in the office actually cried -- not because it happened to her, but she already experienced being in that situation of being left behind and reading the story just generally changed her perspective, making her appreciate her boyfriend more. Plus of course, my virtual friend actually checked on me, asked me if that really happened! I was really touched by her concern, but fortunately, "Sadness Speaks" is pure fiction.

So everyone might be wondering, how on earth was I able to draw out such great emotion out of my system, writing as if I actually lost a loved one? Well, the secret is rather surprising. I was listening to Evanescence's "My Immortal" the whole time that I was writing -- as in, it was looped in my Windows Media Player. And trust me, I was crying virtually the whole time that I was typing. Of course, I also had to relate some of my personal experiences like how I would've felt if I lose my wife now, how my world would probably fall apart and stuff like that. Well, if there's anything real about the story, it's the fact that I don't know any sort of life without her. I mean, we've been together since I graduated from college and moved out of our parents' house. So anyone could just imagine how painful it will be if all that will be taken away from me.

So there... the secret's out. Hopefully, I'd be able to write more fiction -- or simply write more in general -- in spite of my busy sked... and of course, have some stuff published again... just like in ancient times... :)

No comments: