Thursday, May 07, 2009

It ended before it even started

Ferry to CebuI can't say I hate the beach. The only time I went to the beach as a kid was when I was nine and my Mom took me to her hometown in La Union. That was a brief stay and I didn't really have time to enjoy it. The beach was practically in our backyard, it was probably just a 3-5min walk away. I can barely remember this, but my Mom does. Apparently, I was kinda scared every time the waves crash onto shore, washing away the sand. Looking back, I reckon that's the typical reaction of a city kid who grew up in an commercial aparment along a national highway.

Early this year, my partner and I went to Bohol with our best friends. After 28 years of harboring a lot of fears and inhibitions, I finally travelled by sea on a ferry, a "medium-sized" boat and by my standard (and size), a really tiny one. One of the highlights of our holiday was of course, the snorkeling. It was an amazing sight! It was obviously my first time, but I was a bit surprised at how comfortable I felt throughout the whole experience. Everyone was teasing me when I said I want to go to the beach again some time. My partner, who knew I was reluctant about the whole "sea thing" can't believe her ears. She was so stoked because she loves the beach and except for the Bohol holiday, we've never gone anywhere near any beach for the entire eight years we've been together.

A 'medium=sized' boat to take us to Balicasag Island for dolphin-watching and snorkeling
This weekend, we're all set to go to Batangas, again with our best friends. It's a much-needed break for all of us. I've been looking forward to this trip particularly because it's my first beach trip after developing a new-found love for the entire concept of beach bumming and all that. I can just imagine myself lying in the sand, my skin burning under the hot summer sun, the sea crashing onto shore, washing away the sand beneath my feet, but I wouldn't care and I wouldn't be afraid anymore. *Sigh* Now that's a holiday! Unfortunately, it remains to be a dream sequence in my mind because of typhoon, Emong. Currently, both Manila and Batangas are under storm signal number 1 and this news has made me really pissed and bitchy.

Can this get any tinier??? This tiny baby took us to the snorkeling site in Balicasag IslandConsidering how the Earth's seasons have gone out of whack (Duh? Three weeks of summer and it's typhoon season already???), I ain't expecting another beach holiday for summer next year (or prolly even the year after). Oh well, what a real shame, my love affair with the beach has ended before it even started. For now, I'm still hoping that Emong goes someplace else and for Manila and Batangas to see some summer sun this weekend. I mean, come on! Please?

No comments: