Thursday, April 13, 2006

Happy and Gay Jelaine

My name is Jelaine. I'm lesbian. I've been in a very committed relationship since the year 2000. I was never discreet about my homosexuality even as a teenager, but I don't wear it around my neck like some sort of a cowbell. I come out to people on a need-to-know basis, oftentimes in a very casual manner. For me, being a lesbian is just a part of who I am, but I'm not all that. It's not a big deal, really – just as natural as having blue eyes and blond hair, both of which I obviously don't have.

I'm not a big fan of role-playing. Though I have tons of butch and soft butch friends, I personally hate how other people would make a big deal out of who's-butch-who's-femme and the "appropriate roles" they're expected to play. My partner and I started to live together only six months into the relationship. Though she admits to being a soft butch, we've always shared the responsibilities 50-50 since Day 1. Personally, that's the mature way of handling things and expecting the butch or the soft butch to be "the man of the house" is just plain bullshit. In fact, the entire idea about lesbians wanting to be men or being "men trapped in a woman's body" is a load of crap. I know it happens, but FYI, that's an entirely different condition (Hint: Transgender, Transsexual, MTF, FTM, Gender dysphoria). Being a lesbian for me is just about being a woman loving another woman. Being femme or butch or soft butch are all orientations – a way of handling ourselves, a preferred way of wearing clothes or having our hair done. But deep inside, we're just as feminine as any other woman… Truly, 100% all-natural women!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Hi Jelaine!!

I couldn't agree with you more! I also hate the labelling and the expectations that come with those stupid labels in our community. I'm a lesbian. that's all there is to it. I don't need to go into roleplaying to justify who i am.

How have u been?? its been such a long time...

Ellen