Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Still on Taking Hints...

My big sister and I had some sort of heart-to-heart talk last week regarding doing more stuff and learning new things and taking risks once in a while – all those things that I’m so not good at and oh-so scared to even try.  I use to think that I’m a risk-taker.  Well, I think I am to a certain degree.  I don’t know why, but it seems like I’ve changed a lot since I resigned from The Cube.  I became more negative, got a bit too lazy and started feeling more scared than ever to fail, which might explain the negative vibes and the laziness.  By not doing anything, I could then avoid failure.

My big sister’s bottom line: If I truly like to take a plunge into web design and development, then I have to start somewhere, if possible, start now.  Planning to take a plunge is not good enough.  I have to make my plans more specific or I may never do it.

Yesterday, we dropped by National Bookstore because my big sister needs some supplies.  My wife said she’ll look around for Patricia Cornell books, while I said I’ll just check on some books on web design.  Well, I ended up going through bargain VCD’s and DVD’s.  When I saw my wife, I asked her if she found Trace, the latest book in Cornwell’s Kay Scarpetta series.  She said she didn’t and that all she found was a 2-in-1 book of the first two books in the series among the SALE section.  While she was showing me the book, I looked down a second and noticed a big, hard-bound book with the name Mastering XHTML written across the cover on the lower shelf of the table where the on-sale books are.  I was thrilled.  I grabbed the book to check on the price.  It apparently comes with a CD.  The tag says Php1415.00.  Even if I’m oh-so broke and have been holding on to the very little money I have left, I didn’t care.  I’ve heard of other books at a much expensive price – I can’t let this pass.  I then went to ask a sales lady where the CD is and what the original price was.  The CD is in an inside pocket and the original price was Php3800 – but, believe it or not, the book is STILL on sale at 50% off.  She went to the nearest scanner to check on the price.  The screen said Php709.00.  I can’t believe my eyes.  I thanked the lady like I never thanked anyone before.  It felt like a miracle of some sort.

After the talk I had with my big sister last week, I’ve decided that she’s right and that I should indeed start somewhere, that’s why I began doing some reading online over the weekend.  Now, with the book practically falling on my lap, I knew it was another hint and as I’ve said, I can take hints.  And this is definitely one hint that I’m absolutely thankful for.

No comments: