Sunday, November 08, 2009

Paranormal Activity


Ok,so I'm NOT a fan of scary movies. I used to enjoy watching Stephen King movies and yeah, even the Poltergeist series of films as a kid, but I don't know what happened. One day, I just found myself being a scaredy cat grown-up! It may have started with the popularity of such movies as 'The Ring' or whatever, all I know is that scary movies with those unforgettable characters and images haunt me! As in they linger in my thoughts until I have trouble sleeping. So you can just imagine how uninterested I was to watch 'Paranormal Activity.' But hey, a promise is a promise and I told PiNkR0b0T that we will watch it this weekend when it's all dark and spooky.

To my dismay, the movie didn't deliver. Amidst all the hype and all the talk that it's like the scariest movie since 'The Exorcist,' it was a disappointment. To start off, the pacing was too slow. All the good parts were in the last half hour of the movie. Prior to that, I nearly dozed off. The other thing is that the brand of horror was more of the 'gulat' kind. However, it doesn't have any haunting images or sounds that would linger in your imagination when you're all alone in the dark. Lastly, we ended up waiting and waiting for something to happen, and then it'll fade to black and it's daytime again and we figure, 'That's it? Oh, ok...'

Now some might say that's the whole point of the movie -- it leaves you with your playful imagination so you would be afraid of what you cannot see. Yeah, maybe. That's lame though. If that's the concept, then I would've just stayed alone in a dark room and imagine 'Sadako' and that Japanese girl from 'Shutter' crawling towards me. That would've killed me instantly.

So, no offense to the fans, but it did look like a $15,000 indie film, reminiscent of our college film productions. The sound effects were cheap and even the fire effects when the Ouija board burned was just blah. Let's just say, it didn't incite much of a reaction.

So there you have it. Another hyped-up movie tried and found to be overrated.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I soo agree with you on this.. I was also disappointed with the movie.. overrated it is. Where the heck is the scary part in that movie?!?

Paranormal activity. FAIL.

Abernathy™ said...

It may have been the anticipation of what's gong to happpen that I found scary at first. But when it's been a while and nothing's really happening still, I was like, pfft! What a waste of (time) and effort waiting to be scared! LOL

Icey said...

Try watching The Mist - An adaptation from a Stephen King novel. :)

Abernathy™ said...

@Icey - Yeah, I've seen that and it was a little boring for my taste as well. Reminds me a lot of The Langoliers though (another one from King), just in a different setting. If my memory serves me right, I reckon The Langoliers was set in an airport. But there were huge spider-like creatures as well. I liked the ending of The Mist though... totally tragic.