Saturday, February 14, 2009

Hospital Thoughts

This posting is way overdue. On my 2nd day in the ICU waiting area, I got really bored and decided to jot down my thoughts and then some.

  • All you need is half an hour or so in the ICU waiting area and you'd know pretty much everyone's medical history, family tree, and if you're lucky, even family disputes.
  • The hospital is a neat freak's nightmare. Imagine this: My Dad, who just had a hypertensive bleed on the left parietal/occipital part of his brain, can barely remember his DOB, address and contact numbers, requested for a toothbrush AND mouthwash.
  • Update on the above: As soon as my Dad was transferred to a regular room, he asked the nurses if he can have a couple of services done -- as in, manicure and pedicure services. LOL
  • A neat freak in a hospital eventually becomes desperate and learns to use the common toilet -- as long as she's armed with alcohol, soft tissue, wet tissue, and the bitchiness to tell the information staff that someone threw up in their ground floor toilet, while the 2nd floor toilet has plumbing issues.
  • If your father who's in the construction business suffers from a stroke affecting his memory, you, who's only work experience is in the BPO field can amazingly learn construction in several days.
  • Filipinos do not need shrinks because we're very resilient people. I have to admit, the emotional support I got from the other families in the ICU waiting area helped me get through those three extremely long days. My heart goes out to the Palomares, Layos and Senio families.

No comments: